Tuesday, May 11, 2010

David Short's first account of the 4th trip

Bonswa (Good Evening)…

Yesterday (Friday) I flew down to Miami and spent the night on the floor of the airport. I met up with our new host/translator Pastor Guercy Meme. He and I will be working together on all of the trips going forward.

On our way out to the Oasis compound I noticed that there seems to be a lot more debris showing up on the streets. I have been reading through the recovery materials being prepared by the government and NGO’s and it has been determined that one of the significant issues of the recovery will be the management of the debris.

We also saw quite a few fuel trucks lined up at the port waiting for fuel to be made available. We needed some diesel and stopped at six service stations before we found some in bottles at a roadside vendor.

Guercy and I spent some time after dinner planning our approach. Apparently we have about 137 churches that we will be helping to rebuild. Over 75% of these have pastors whose homes were damaged or destroyed. We will start with a pastor’s home so that he can serve his church better, then we will do the church, then the members. I have been tasked with coming up with the basic design and build plans. This should be a fun opportunity to use my construction and project management backgrounds. Tomorrow we go to church and then start assessing the first property to work on.

Thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment